Historical Perspectives of Greater Calcutta
The meaning of the word "Calcutta" has frequently altered. The Circular Road served as the city's border in an earlier Calcutta that was under the High Court's original purview. Then there was the Corporation's Calcutta, which had more suburban areas (1888). The Corporation areas and the suburban municipalities of Cossipore-Chitpur, Manicktola, Tollygaunge, South Suburban, and Garden Reach, with Howrah on the other side of the river, formed a "Greater" Calcutta in the 1930s. New suburbs were created as some of these suburban communities were absorbed by the metropolis. In this article, historical perspectives of greater Calcutta have been discussed.